Sunday, July 6, 2008

I always wanted a blog, Ma

I have always wanted a blog. Even when there weren't blogs, I wanted one. In fact, I started one, even though I didn't know the proper label for it, back in 1999 when I created a very rudimentary website and posted "political ramblings" on a special page. Emails between me and G. Morris, one of the future posters to this blog, formed the basis for those posts. Their subjects are lost in the hazy past of the internet bubble stock market crash and disastrous election of "w" but my interest in political dialogue persisted and, now, finds a forum.

Except perhaps for criticizing my hometown Atlanta Hawks' draft choices-- seriously, Marvin Williams ahead of Chris Paul and Deron Williams???-- nothing tends to agitate and inflame me more than political discussion. Some of this is due to a strong innate feeling of justice and rights; thus, when my own Southern senator abrasively dismisses a person's right to marry and work without discrimination based on sexual orientation, I get upset, angry, and confrontational. Likewise, when an African American makes the same comments, I cannot hold back from pointing out that she is diametrically opposed to the teachings of MLK, Jr. Another reason for my passion for political discussion is a fundamental respect for accuracy, truth, and logic. The powers-that-be so obviously engage in-- to borrow a word from Scott McClellan-- propoganda, and the main stream media seem to lap it up like sweet heavy cream, or at least actually report it, which is sometimes bad enough (Swift Boat anyone?). Nowhere is this more evident than on the many, many news shows where "two views" are presented, in a show of balance or fairness; but it's not balance if on one side you have someone who is a nutcase (e.g., Ann Coulter) and on the other you have a legitimate presenter of an opinion. But they do it anyway.

The falsity and blatant self-promotion stun me. And make me mad. Hence, this blog.

I will not pretend that I do not have an opinion or a view, and I will certainly try to convince you that my view is the right one. But you can count on me to make an honest presentation of the facts. (Also, while my wife might disagree, I will admit when I am wrong).

No comments: