Thursday, September 4, 2008

I am offended.

So, over the past few days, I have watched the Republican Convention. I'm not a Republican, but I wanted to see how the Evil Empire ... ahem ... other party does its business. Initially, the only thing that struck me was the politics as usual scene -- not much different from the Democratic Convention -- with one party striking out at another, boosting its own candidate, touting the party platform.

Then I watched the speech by Sarah Palin. And I saw the buttons. Here is a woman -- only the second woman in history to be nominated to a major party presidential ticket -- who seems to be smart, put together, and articulate. And what do the buttons of her party mates read? I'll quote from an article on the Indianapolis WTHR news website (http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=8946005):

"The Alaskan button reads, 'From the coldest state comes the hottest vice president." But Sen. Sue Landske and some fellow Hoosiers came up with a button of their own: 'Hoosiers for the hot chick'."

I'm pretty much rendered speechless.

4 comments:

SciWonk said...

I saw that. It's sexist. You didn't see Hillary shirts like that. *However,* the Dem Convention had official t-shirts featuring a red/white/blue donkey with an afro and pick in its hair. So both sides cross the line of propriety.

Tommi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tommi said...

It's only one small step to Paris Hilton for President, isn't it? I've often wondered if an shamelessly superficial celebrity really could get elected in our degraded media culture, and I think we're close to it.

Anonymous said...

It's the same old Republican double standard: we can be sexist, but you can't; we can exhibit a dearth of "family values" (thinking of cheatin' spouses here), but you can't.

Hypocrites.